I hope that this blog doesn't turn into a rag filled with pet peeves and this really bothers me's, but I feel it's necessary to discuss something that simply put, really bothers me. As the title says, punctuality, but I'll be more specific. Mondays and Thursdays I have my only morning class, Sociology of Death. All of my other classes are evening/night times, and I was apprehensive about taking a morning class because of the commute (rush hour on the parkway is not fun). In addition, I prefer night classes because the older students tend to take the classes more seriously and actually want to be there, but that's a separate issue. However, this was the only section and I really wanted to take it (and it fulfilled and upper-level elective). The class starts at 9:30 AM, and I leave at 8 because the half-hour commute usually ends up taking about an hour and parking at Kean is less than commuter-friendly, for a predominantly commuter school, but I digress (AGAIN). I usually have about 15 minutes to spare by the time I park, and I like having that time because it allows me to look over my notes from the last class or whatever readings were assigned- yes, I know I'm extremely nerdy! That 15 minute buffer also allows for any additional traffic I may encounter, which has happened a few times so far. Regardless, I know that leaving an hour and a half prior to the start of my class seems a little excessive, but out of respect of my professor and other classmates I think it's very important to arrive to class on time.
This morning's class was looking very empty at 9:28, when the professor arrived. I even commented to the girl sitting next to me that maybe some people had dropped the course after receiving our test scores in the last class. People continued to trickle in until about 10:00. THAT'S A FULL HALF HOUR LATE! The class only goes until 10:45, how can you miss 30 minutes of that?! Not only that, but it's extremely distracting to be listening to a lecture and have the door creek open and have someone shuffle in across the entire classroom where they proceed to unzip their bag and do whatever else I'd already done before the class even started. I can't help but stare as they disrupt the entire group of focused students. I remember as early as middle school that we would receive an "unprepared" in a class if we did not hand in our assignments by the start time. I understand that there are always going to be legitimate excuses for these lates, and the teacher probably doesn't care one way or the other what the reason is, but I'm referring to consistent offenders. Last week in my World Literature course, a woman walked in with 10 minutes left. She is late every week, and her arrival time is only getting later and later. Why would you even show up for 10 minutes?! In my opinion, that's worse than not showing up at all. That can't possibly count the same for attendance as those of us who were there the entire time. (Yes, at Kean most classes have attendance policies)
I don't know why it is so difficult to be on time. When I was at Rutgers, I had a professor who would lock the door when he started class so that anyone who was late would not be allowed to come in...and this was in a lecture hall! I don't know if this extreme is necessary, because as I said, there are exceptions, but there has to be a happy medium that gets the point across effectively. I always try to arrive at least 15 minutes early (wherever I'm going) because I'm aware that if I'm late it can mess up someone else's schedule and I don't want to be the cause for delays or distractions. I remember when I was younger, my mom was always able to get my family places on time, and very often it would be just her and the four of us (my 2 sisters and brother). Whether we were going to a doctor appointment or a family get-together, we were always on time. If my mother could do it with 4 young children, then no one else has an excuse to being a repeat offender. I always get to my appointments early, and if there is an extraneous circumstance, I'll call (when calling is an option).
I wonder how it feels to be a person who is perpetually late. The people who stroll in on their own time seem indifferent to the fact that they're disrupting the lecture in progress. I am really turned off by blatant disregard of others. Unfortunately, the people who should read this probably never will.
In other news, I ordered an ipod touch today. I have no good reason for this, other than really wanting one. This is my treat to myself, and will probably be the last for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment