Yes, you read that correctly. I am unemployed. While it was not really a position I'd planned on finding myself in, I'm not really upset or depressed about not having a job. It really has opened up a lot of opportunities that I wouldn't have had under other circumstances, but I'll get to that shortly.
Let's talk about where my life WAS heading. I'm 25, I live with my boyfriend, I was very slowly working towards my bachelors degree in psychology, and I was working full time at the school. They had me "teaching" art, which I was ecstatic about, but because I don't have a teaching certification, I couldn't technically "teach" art with my own classroom. Basically I was going to go around to each classroom and do lessons with the head teacher's still in the class. In addition, I was going to be working in the transitional department teaching the kids how to use digital cameras and print/photoshop their pictures. Again, I was very excited about all of this and was willing to take all of it on, but there was no pay compensation. I'd gotten a $500 pay increase, like all of the other paraprofessionals, but I was doing far more than even many of the teachers (in some respects). Until I left, I didn't realize how they were really taking advantage of me. In my mind, if I had to be getting a lousy pay, I'd rather be doing something that I enjoyed rather than something that was a constant source of stress and frustration. I was willing to settle for the low pay because I had nothing to negotiate with, no degree or certification, so I took what I was given. This had been bothering Billy for quite a while. He didn't think it was fair that they were taking advantage of me, and he thought that I really should be getting more than what they were willing to give, regardless of my qualifications...especially because I'd worked there since I was 18. Adding insult to injury, they were not reimbursing me for tuition for reasons unknown to me. I didn't want to have to take out more student loans and was only taking 2 classes per semester. At that rate, I would still be a good 3 years away from my bachelors. I don't want to be 30 and STILL in college.
So, what am I doing now? Well, first off, I'm enrolled full-time in college. Because I'll be able to collect unemployment, I'll be able to afford to be a full time student. Also, I got approved for enough financial aid to pay for this enitre year. As I said before, I didn't want to take out student loans, but upon further investigation, my total loan debts were considerably lower than I'd originally thought. I realized that if I go full time for this entire year and probably one more semester that I should be able to graduate by December of next year. I'm taking 15 credits and will probably have at least that many for the next 2 semesters I have left. I'm excited to be finishing my undergraduate education. Sometimes I joke that I'm the Oedipus or Homer of college because this has been a lengthy, epic journey for me, but the joking is a facad for the what I really feel. People always say the same thing "At least you're still going", and it's only slightly encouraging. I've always been an underachiever. My report cards and progress reports always said something to the extent of me not working to the best of my ability. For some reason I never really cared to do my best. I'm the first to sell myself short. Laziness and procrastination have gotten the best of me and my ability to complete college in a timely fashion. Now I'm turning over a new leaf and getting myself in order.
I'm not actively seeking a job, contrary to what I tell the people at the unemployment office. For the first time, I'm taking advantage of the resources I've been presented. I've had a job since I was 15, I worked the whole time I was in college and I'm finally taking a break. I know some people really look down on those who are unemployed and make no effort to get another job, but I don't think that I fit in with those people. My effort is being put into my education because the sooner I graduate, the sooner I can look for a better paying job. Plus, I really needed a break from work. I'm able to sleep in a little bit, but I still get up and get dressed every day. I'm doing all the things that a housewife does. I'm cleaning and cooking a lot more, which is really what I love...even if it's just a grilled cheese for Billy who is 25 going on 5.
I guess I'll keep everyone posted on my progress and employment status as the time goes on. Hopefully a year from now I'll be planning my graduation!
1 comment:
you go, girl!!!
Post a Comment